Thursday, October 14, 2010

First Foray

The two-color stranded knitting bug finally hit.  It's been lurking on the list for a while, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.  After a class with Janel Laidman at Sock Camp this past spring, and then finding a great starter project, my immune system succumbed.

Yarn:  Brown Sheep Top of the Lamb sport weight, in Grey Heather and Onyx.
Pattern:  Cat Mittens by Jorid Linvik.

I made a bit of a tangled mess at the beginning until I got the hang of handling one strand of yarn in each hand.  Since I don't tension the yarn in the typical way -- well, actually, since I don't tension the yarn at all, this took a bit of getting used to.  I can't say that I'm ready for 3-color stranding yet (heaven help me with 4 or 5 colors), but every row gets easier.  Luckily each row is only 60 stitches. 

I'm not convinced I made a wise choice with the yarn selection.  That the yarn is a singles isn't turning out to be much of an issue, but the weight -- let's just say that these mitts would more suited to the Arctic Circle than to my temperate clime.  But they're lovely and fun, and I'm sure we'll get a deep freeze one of these years when they'll come in quite handy.

First mitten's almost done.  The second should be a snap.  The process is delightful, so maybe I am ready for 3+ colors.  Bohus sweater, you're in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment